Thursday, May 2, 2013

Mission Navajo Reflections by Nicole Whitwer

Simply put, mission Navajo was life changing.  Giving me countless opportunities to see and experience things in a way that I never imagined.  Although I can't say that I necessarily had a definite plan or idea of what I was going to experience on this trip, I still feel comfortable enough in saying that things didn't go according to plan.  I guess I expected to see an impoverished town full of struggling citizens.  I guess I expected to simply be a part of planting a seed of hope and walking away feeling thankful for what I had and maybe even feeling better about myself.  

But the truth is I had a mix of emotions.  Boarding the van to head back to Iowa I couldn't believe I was leaving-just like that it was over.  I wasn't sure (and still am not sure) what God wants me to do at this point.  I'm back in classes at Iowa State University and am nearing graduation, after this experience I'd like to make sure I don't forget about the res dogs, the grandmother in a home the size of my closet, and all the beautiful kids at HillTop (especially my fifth grade girls).  I don't want to walk away with simply "a better awareness."  There is more to be done here.  And thank God for people like Janelle Allen for paving the way.  

No comments: