Thursday, August 28, 2014

A Challenge from Julie Wiemann, Director of Alpha and Connection

I've always loved a challenge.  In fact, at times somebody challenging me NOT to do something has caused me to do just that--meet the challenge. You might even call it a dare. You know exactly what I'm talking about because maybe you are that person too or you have a child who meets any dare his or her friends toss their way.

The past two weeks Facebook and news and talk shows have been ablaze with the ALS challenge. It's been fun to watch everyone jump on board. The videos have been entertaining but also heartfelt.  The Challenge has gotten families together, grandparents, coworkers and much more. My husband and I were challenged by our kids, and grandson Dawson found great joy in dumping water on my head not once,  but twice.  I was happy to meet the challenge because my junior high teacher, Tom Wolf, died of ALS 5 years ago.  He was one of my favorite teachers, so the challenge was very real--I knew someone with the disease.

When you're part of a growing church body there are always challenges.  Challenges to: 1) raise funds for upcoming mission trips; 2) do things to grow spiritually; 3) get involved and to serve.  The opportunities are endless.  As we're settling into fall and looking at the Intentional Life calendar I'm reminded that really, it's me challenging myself saying "what are you going to do to continue to grow UP, IN and OUT?"



It's a regular discussion, and I love hearing my friends and the body of Christ ask one another "what are you doing this fall?"   So I'm posing that question to you!  Have you recently challenged yourself to get in the word by getting in a bible study?  Have you challenged yourself to serve by looking at opportunities to use your gifts at the Ridge or in this community?   The ALS challenge has been fun.  Will you also meet the PRC Intentional Life Challenge?   I'm on board - how about you?

No comments: