Thursday, April 11, 2013

Why Journal?....Teresa Deitch


At the end of last year a few of my staff buddies and I visited with you regarding what we do to develop our own spiritual disciplines and habits. One of the items I shared was that I journal. In fact, someone reminded me recently that what she remembers about that service is not how wise and spiritual I sounded…no, she remembers that I shared my journal is where I go to “vomit”.  And that I said the word “vomit” in church. 

Lovely. 

However, I do recommend that you try journaling. Here’s why I recommend it so highly:
  • It’s where I go to process what God is doing in my life.
    And here’s the funny thing…sometimes what He is doing isn’t making me happy. Or maybe it is hard or maybe I don’t like it. But it is amazing when I go back and read through past entries…I can see a common theme that has been going on. However, I may not have seen it as it was happening and I was in the thick of it. And maybe He revealed it through the scripture passage I read that day, or a devotional I received, or through a friend and her insights. Regardless, I process it here.
  • It’s where I get real.
    Okay, this is the “vomit” part. All the stuff that I want to lay at the foot of the cross – sometimes I can’t even speak it, so I write it. I get it out so it doesn’t poison my actions, so Satan can’t get a foothold or so I can have some PEACE. It’s my letter to God – He already knows what’s ailing me but it sure makes me feel better to get it out!
  •  It’s where I record praise and victories!
    As a Jesus-follower there is so much to pray for and so much hurt around us that sometimes it’s overwhelming. HOWEVER, there’s also a great deal of goodness and answered prayers!! With my middle-aged memory I need to write that good stuff down – so when the pain and suffering seem like too much, I can go back and see specific instances where God answered prayer or moved in a way that I couldn’t miss it. I literally draw red hearts or make red checkmarks in my journal for answered prayers as if to say, “Thank you, God. Check that off the list!” J

I know writing is not for everyone. However, I consider it a way to communicate with Him and a way to worship Him as well. I remember who He is and who I am not. And it creates intimacy between me and my Father.  What’s not to love about that?!

No comments: