Thursday, July 18, 2013

Have you ever lost something important?

I have. 

Recently I lost my wedding ring. I cannot explain the horrible feeling that comes with knowing something irreplaceable has been misplaced. 


After 24 hours of searching, praying, and even fasting, I was pretty sure I wasn't going to ever see it again. 

During my search, I had two different friends comment that it was like the parable of the lost coin where the woman turns her house upside down to find the coin. So, after my search came up empty, I spent some time with that scripture. 

“Or suppose a woman has ten silver coins and loses one. Won’t she light a lamp and sweep the entire house and search carefully until she finds it? And when she finds it, she will call in her friends and neighbors and say, ‘Rejoice with me because I have found my lost coin.’ In the same way, there is joy in the presence of God’s angels when even one sinner repents.” Luke 15:8-10

The notes of my bible say this "Palestinian women received 10 silver coins as a wedding gift. Besides their monetary value, these coins held sentimental value like that of a wedding ring, and to lone one would be extremely distressing. Just as a woman would rejoice at finding her lost coin or ring, so the angels rejoice over a repentant sinner. Each individual is precious to God. He grieves over every loss and rejoices whenever one of his children is found and brought into the Kingdom." (Life Application Study Bible, Tyndale, page 1586). 

How kind of God to remind me that cares about me more than I care about my wedding ring. 

As I gave my grief over to God, rested in His care, and carried my laundry downstairs...there it was...sitting on the basement table. 

Thank you, God, for reminding me You are in the midst of all that is going on in my life.  

Suzanne Schuknecht, Director of Data & Communication






No comments: