Monday, May 19, 2014

God and gas…and we’re not talking the automobile kind!!?!?! Sara Van Rees


So it’s Tuesday night and we’re hunkered down in our family room having our family bible study.  We’re going through Exodus, and this week was a pretty big venture—the plagues! 

We’re working through questions, the stuff we don’t understand when Olivia asks, “Which one do you all think is the worst?” We proceed to share our thoughts. Two of us agree that the frogs would be the worst.  Caleb states his reasons.  I agree with him and get a little off topic.

“Oh man, can’t you just see God looking down at the Egyptians, leaning over to Junior (that would be Jesus) and asking, ‘What do we hit ‘em with next?’  To which Junior responds, ‘Oh dad…how about they all throw up and there’s vomit everywhere?’  (Can you tell I live with an adolescent male?!?!)  We all chuckle a bit, and then Caleb says, “God doesn’t have a sense of humor.” 

Now, I could jump all over him and go about proving him wrong.  But instead, I pause, take a breath and ask, “Tell me about that.  What makes you think this?”  To which he replies, “He’s just not funny.  I don’t think He has a sense of humor.”  I look to my husband for help and can see he’s formulating his own response.

 
It’s silent for a bit and I’m really hoping someone else will throw out a question so we can just move on.  And someone does “throw” something out there—gas!?  Really???   Can we not go 10 minutes without a belch or toot in our home?  While I cover my nose with my shirt, someone starts chuckling and adds, “How about gas?  Where do you think burps and farts come from?”  To which my husband and the rest of the crew join in the laughter.  I guess God does have a sense of humor after all!

Friends, God does indeed show up and reveal Himself to us.  He spoke to Moses through a burning bush, He spoke to Paul when He struck him blind…he spoke to our family through gas!!

So go ahead…don’t be afraid to ask God to speak into your questions or your “kickback.”  God will answer in His time and in His way!  He might just get a little unconventional, too!  Remember…He does have a sense of humorJ

No comments: