Thursday, April 2, 2015

The Passion...The Suffering...Easter Morning

Do you remember the year The Passion of the Christ came out? I do.


I was a newlywed, living in Kentucky...my first holiday not at my parent's house, my first time being the wife at a holiday at my own home...a lot of firsts.

My husband and I saw The Passion of The Christ early in Holy Week, our church put on an Easter drama later that week, and then we went to Good Friday service. I remember experiencing the road to the cross more that year then any other. The sacrifice, the gruesome torture, the love. There was such a heaviness that bore down on my soul.

I couldn't wait for Easter! I wanted to be at the first service that Sunday morning, I wanted Jesus out of that tomb and alive! Alive in my life.

I remember the chills I got as I sat in the service that morning and the first cords of End of the Beginning was played and the musicians began singing - oh to experience that joy each morning!

Click here to watch Dave Phelps sing End of the Beginning

We can get caught up in the details of Easter - the meal, the family gatherings, the egg hunts - that we gloss over the Passion...the Suffering. It's ugly, it's heavy - we don't want to focus on that. But we can't get to the joy of Easter morning without going through the cross. Let's take a minute to remember. John 18-19 (NIV)



 

1 comment:

Unknown said...

So we noticed that the "family discussion questions" on the back of the flyer we get at church is gone. I was wondering, would you be able to have those questions again, just here in the blog you do for each sermon? My family and I LOVE those questions and get us to take the sermon deeper within ourselves.