Wednesday, August 31, 2016

Meet The Ridge Staff: Brandy Young, Director of Support & Small Group Ministries

1.      What is your job at The Ridge?
Director of Support and Small Group Ministries
2.    Favorite thing about your job?
I’m new to my job, but I love challenging and encouraging people in their faith – being able to meet people where they are through support groups and doing life together through small groups.
3.    Tell us about your relationship with God.
I met Jesus in my twenties and He completely flipped the script of my life.  I was one of those stubborn ones who had to be humbled by life and brought to my knees before I figured out what I was meant to do there – pray and surrender – and a radical transformation followed.  While He completely captured my heart, I’ve learned that my relationship with the Lord requires daily tending to fully live out His ways.  He is my ultimate purpose and greatest adventure.
4.    What brought you to The Ridge?
I moved to Ankeny a couple years ago when I got married and my husband was already attending The Ridge.  I didn’t feel connected right away, but I started volunteering with the Junkyard and was won over by the love and community of the sponsors and youth.  So I guess you could say that my husband introduced me and the Junkyard kept me!
5.     Favorite Ridge memory.
I’m not sure if it is my favorite but perhaps the most memorable – getting applesauce dumped on my head during a Junkyard event.  You’d be surprised how difficult it is to wash applesauce from your hair!
6.    Tell us about your family.
I’m married to the man I affectionately call #handyhubs (despite his pleas for me to stop).  We met while both working at John Deere and transitioned from co-workers to friends to husband and wife.  I acquired 3 teenage step kids in the deal: Brea is a sophomore at the University of Iowa and the twins, Lane and Karrena, are juniors at Ankeny Centennial.  Despite how scary it sounds to become a step-mom of 3 teenagers…they’re awesome and I wouldn’t trade them…(on most days)…
7.     Favorite Bible Verse
I’m always taken by God’s sovereignty and have found much comfort in Proverbs 3:5-6 – Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways submit to him, and he will  make your paths straight.
8.    Favorite Quote
A Franciscan Benediction:  “May God bless you with discomfort at easy answers, half-truths, and superficial relationships, so that you may live deep within your heart.  May God bless you with anger at injustice, oppression, and exploitation of people, so that you may work for justice, freedom and peace.  May God bless you with tears to shed for those who suffer from pain, rejection, starvation, and war, so that you may reach out your hand to comfort them and to turn their pain in to joy.  And may God bless you with enough foolishness to believe that you can make a difference in this world, so that you can do what others claim cannot be done.”
9.    Favorite Spot to connect with God
In nature, by a body or source of water.
10.           Favorite spot in your house.
My prayer closet!  #handyhubs converted our basement storm shelter room into a prayer room.  Cozy, serene, I love it!
11.   What is your favorite book?
It is hard to pick just one but Love Does by Bob Goff brought so much joy to my life!
Would you rather…
1.      Read on a Kindle or paperback book? Paperback
2.    Hike or bike?  Both (off-road biking)
3.    Crash with friends or stay in a hotel?  Friends
4.    Visit Europe or Mexico?  Europe
5.     Enjoy a houseboat or speed boat?  Speed boat
6.    Go canoeing or waterskiing?  Waterskiing
7.     Watch sports or play sports?  Play sports
8.    Play dodgeball or kickball?  Dodgeball
9.    Get up early or stay up late?  Get up early

No comments: