Thursday, September 26, 2013

Got Peace? by Cheryl Sidler

How often have you prayed for peace? I know I have many times.  And God graciously offers us peace even if we find ourselves heading back into worry all too quickly when our focus moves away from Him and back to us and our circumstances.  I was recently reading 2 Peter and the first two verses hit me…

“Simon Peter, a servant and apostle of Jesus Christ,

To those who through the righteousness of our God and Savior Jesus Christ have received a faith as precious as ours:

Grace and peace be yours in abundance through the knowledge of God and of Jesus our Lord.”

This is the disciple Peter speaking to believers and he starts out his letter with sweet words.  As I pondered these words, I thought about grace and peace being ours in abundance through the knowledge of God and of Jesus.  I’m not a Bible scholar, but when I looked up the word knowledge in the original Greek at www.studylight.org, I found it means “precise and correct knowledge” and the word origin is a Greek word that means “to become thoroughly acquainted with, to know thoroughly, to know accurately, know well”.

So, it made me think about how, the more I get to know God through His Word, the more I focus on Him, the more lasting peace I have. 

I would recommend looking at this link to study the words grace, peace, and abundance/multiplied too (just click on the word in the verse and the definitions will pop up).  It brings so much more to the verse when we know the richness of the original language! 

Let me know what you learn and how this will affect your life. 

Cheryl Sidler (csidler@ridgelife.org)

2 comments:

Helene Bergren said...

Good words, Cheryl! Good study tips, too!
-Helene B.

Helene Bergren said...

Good words, Cheryl! Good study tips, too!
-Helene B.